Government House is the office and official residence of the Lieutenant Governor and the ceremonial home of all British Columbians. The house is located on the traditional territory of the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations, in the heart of the Rockland neighbourhood in Victoria, British Columbia.
The Government House grounds are open from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year. The grounds and gardens are free to visit.
In order for the grounds to remain open, we must continue to follow relevant COVID-19 public health directives. The health and safety of our staff, volunteers and visiting public is of the utmost priority. We ask all visitors to familiarize themselves with our other rules and policies:
- Do not visit the grounds if you are feeling unwell or exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Maintain social distancing from all other visitors.
- Government House does not take bookings for space usage. Formal ceremonies, such as weddings or celebrations of life, are not permitted to take place on site.
- Government House does not permit the importation and use of outside furniture; this includes barbeques and propane fire pits. The only exceptions are for portable/collapsible chairs that are not affixed to the ground or structure.
- Bicycles are not permitted for riding on walking paths or lawns.
- Any amplified sound and/or other noise that may disturb or impede the enjoyment of visiting patrons or neighbours is not permitted.
- Dogs are welcome as long as they are on leash.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, rain or shine, the Friends of Government House Gardens Society volunteer their time to maintain the splendor of grounds and gardens on the Government House estate. For the safety of our volunteers and visitors, the following precautions have been put in place:
- Between 9:00 am and noon, there may be reduced access to some areas of the grounds in order to facilitate social distancing.
- Signage will be posted to restrict access to these areas.
- Visitors are asked to obey all signage.
Government House can be reached via a 20-minute walk or five-minute drive from downtown. Free parking is available onsite. Buses on Victoria Regional Transit routes 11 and 14 stop on Fort Street at Joan Crescent, three blocks from Government House.
Please note: In accordance to Clean Air Bylaw No. 3962 it is prohibited to burn or vape any substances, including cannabis, on the public grounds of Government House. This policy includes the Woodlands and all lawns and gardens.