Thank you for contacting the Office of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia. Please note the following information before sending your correspondence:
In line with the principles of responsible government, the Lieutenant Governor is unable to comment on, or intervene in, any matters relating to government policies and services. Requests for the Lieutenant Governor to do so will be considered as informational and may not receive a reply. Questions or comments about government policies or services should be directed to the appropriate minister of the Government of British Columbia.
Please note the term “Lieutenant Governor in Council” appears in many government documents, such as acts of legislation. Legally, it refers to the Lieutenant Governor acting on and with the advice of the Executive Council or Cabinet. When the Cabinet makes a decision and it has been approved by the Lieutenant Governor, it is said to have been made by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
People wanting the “Lieutenant Governor in Council” to act upon their behalf should instead refer their request to the appropriate Government of British Columbia ministry.
- Before writing to a minister, you may wish to consult the list of ministries and the list of ministers responsible for public statutes.
- All legal matters should be sent directly to the Office of the Attorney General.
- If you wish to make a complaint about a government service, you may wish to consult the website of the Ombudsperson of British Columbia.
- For assistance with Government of British Columbia programs and services, including service in over 140 languages and accessible options, visit Service BC.
For correspondence related to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia:
- To invite the Lieutenant Governor to attend your event or to request to host your event at Government House, please complete an invitation form.
- If you would like to request a message from the Lieutenant Governor, please complete a message request form. Please note requests for messages must be sent separate from invitations.
- For requests and enquiries from media or publications, please visit Media Enquiries.
- For requests or questions related to patronage, please visit Honorary Patronage.
Follow the Honourable Janet Austin, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, on social media:
Follow Government House on social media: