Patronage, in the sense of support and encouragement of worthy endeavours, is a legitimate function of the Office of the Lieutenant Governor. It derives from the concept of the Crown as the source of the highest honours and awards granted in our society.
If your organization wishes to request patronage, kindly submit your request by letter with a copy of the attached Application for Patronage.
Please submit your written request to the address indicated below. Your letter should be addressed to:
Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia
1401 Rockland Avenue
Victoria, B.C. V8S IV9
The salutation is “Your Honour” or “Your Honours”.
The Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia grants patronage in order to support and encourage worthy endeavours. Her Honour is patron of many community, military and cultural associations, as well as public service organizations, lending them vital support and recognition for their outstanding contributions to society. When requested, Her Honour may also provide patronage to an event.Organizations that are granted patronage by the Lieutenant Governor and/or the Vice-Regal Consort are chosen based on the following criteria:
- the organization must have aims and objectives which are aligned with the institutional or personal themes of the Lieutenant Governor;
- must be well established with a proven track record;
- be provincial or regional in scope;
- must have active programs that are a direct benefit to the community at large and these programs should be implemented on an annual basis;
- be non-political; and
- be financially responsible.
All organizations must re-apply for patronage at the beginning of each new Lieutenant Governor’s term. Please note that patronage does not guarantee the Lieutenant Governor’s involvement in, or attendance at, events being hosted by organizations. The Lieutenant Governor’s Patronage should not be used in direct connection with fundraising campaigns.