Music on the Lawn, the outdoor concert series, returns to Government House for three nights in July. Bring a lawn chair or blanket, a picnic dinner or grab a meal from the onsite food trucks– these events are free and open to the whole family. Join Government House in celebrating Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee with music and festivity!
Thursday, July 7, 2022 – 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
HEADLINER: Tight Hair Disco– Bring your dancing shoes for the pounding beats and high energy vocals of Victoria’s all disco ensemble.
OPENING: Emelia Lupynis – Vancouver-based Canadian-Ukrainian Singer; viewing recommended with a side of traditional Ukrainian food, on sale this night only, courtesy of the Ukrainian Canadian Cultural Society of Vancouver Island.
Thursday, July 14, 2022 – 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
HEADLINER: Lateshift – Formally known as Rukus, this golden oldies dance band returns to Government House with the hits of the 50s, 60s, and beyond.
OPENING: Anishinaabe Mitchell Sisters – Featuring the voices of sisters Sandee Mitchell and Nancy Potvin with sweet folk melodies.
Thursday, July 21, 2022 – 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
HEADLINER: The Chris Millington Band – A dedicated dance band playing popular songs and grooves to get you out of your seat and onto the dancefloor.
OPENING: The Southern Vancouver Island Girl Guides – Campfire songs and fun for all ages.
Things to Know:
- Concerts will take place rain or shine, barring any extreme weather forecasts.
- Concerts take place at 1401 Rockland Ave, at the Government House Bandshell, located just above the Cary Castle Mews near the orchard (see map).
- A rotating group of food trucks and ice cream from Kid Sister will be available all three nights (outside food is welcome too, but no alcohol please).
- Bring Your Own Seating – there’s lots of room for everyone, but come early if you want to be close to the stage. Seating is on an open lawn, so bring hats for sun and cover in case of rain.
- There are outside washrooms available onsite.
- These events are popular and onsite parking is limited. Government House can be reached via a 20-minute walk or five-minute drive from downtown. Buses on Victoria Regional Transit routes 11 and 14 stop on Fort Street at Joan Crescent, three blocks from Government House.
- Transit by bicycle is welcome! Due to the popularity of these events, bike rack space may be limited, but bikes may be stored along the perimeter fence surrounding the concert space.
- Well behaved, on-leash furry friends are welcome (and may have the opportunity to meet Macduff!).
- Donations graciously accepted in support of The Friends of Government House Gardens Society.